‘With nearly twenty years of debating experience, an unrivalled network of contacts, and a track record of setting up and running many successful and growing competitions, there is nothing that Julian Bell doesn’t know about school debating. Thorough, helpful and inspiring, he ensured our debating programme got off to a flying start, and was constantly available to support us thereafter. Highly recommended!’
Debating for Everyone offers a complete package to enable a school to establish its own debating culture. The package comprises:
1. A one hour session with the teacher or teachers who will be running debating
I will listen to your aspirations, and the challenges you face, and advise on how best to establish a debating culture in your school. At the end of it, you will know both how to run debating as an activity within the school, and how to prepare students for participation in external competitions. I will provide a full write up of our discussion, with any necessary links to follow up.
£250 plus travel expenses
2. Three one hour intensive training sessions with students
In groups of up to 20, I will work with your students to inform them on how debating works as a sport, and to teach them the basic skills, including:
· How to research and prepare a speech
· How to structure a speech
· How to deliver a speech
· An introduction to the rules of logic
· An introduction to the rules of rhetoric
· How to rebut opposing arguments
· How to detect the weaknesses in the opposition’s arguments, and how to make your own arguments stronger
· What judges look for; tips for winning debates
£300 plus travel expenses
3. A one hour CPD session with staff
In this session, I will show how the principles and skills of debating can be used to enhance teaching and learning across the curriculum.
£250 plus travel expenses
4. All the above plus continuous support for one academic year
I will be available for consultation by phone or email on any aspect of debating at any time and at no extra charge throughout the first year you run debating at your school
£750 plus travel expenses.
Other offers from Debating For Everyone
I can also offer holiday and weekend courses.
These can be taken as one day, two day or three day courses for a group of up to 20 students. Each day comprises six hours of intensive debate training and activities, culminating in a competition.
The charge for these is £500 per day plus travel expenses.
(This does not include the hiring of the venue or provision of refreshments during the day; if the school is not able to provide these, there will be an additional charge.)
All offers are negotiable and can be adapted to suit your school's needs.
I also offer some pro bono work for maintained schools.